Thursday, 23 August 2012

I'm getting super-bionic ears!

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I've written to all of you I know, but I have some very exciting news - I get to be a superhero with super bionic ears! 

You see Mummy and Daddy took me to see my ear doctor yesterday to talk about the test they did on my hearing a few weeks ago - the one where they made me drink some icky stuff and put me to sleep.  I was very busy exploring the doctor's office while Mummy, Daddy, Graham and the doctor talked in all sorts of big words I didn't really understand.  It was ok though because I was having fun.  Do you have any idea how many interesting things there are to play with in a doctor's office?  Well of course I was in to everything, you would expect nothing less of me would you?  

Let's see, first I borrowed the doctors mousemat and rubbed it around on the floor for a while, then I had a little chew on it to make sure it was nice and sticky and covered with teeth marks before very nicely giving it back to the doctor by dropping it in his lap.  He's a very nice doctor so he said thank you to me but before he had finished speaking, I was on the other side of the room helping him empty his box of rubber gloves, I was counting them you see, helping him decide if he had enough for his work that day.  The best way of counting a box of gloves is by first spreading them out on the floor and then starting at the beginning with number one.  

The nice nurse smiled and took the box off me, I wondered whether or not to have a shout but I decided against it because I'd spotted the rubbish bin and it looked perfect for filing my teeth on so I scuttled over to chew on the lid while staring at my reflection.  Mummy pulled me away from that one and I grumbled at her for a bit but then I noticed that the doctor had my file open on his desk.  This is a HUGE amount of paper all stuck together and since it tells everyone all about me, I thought it was only fair that I should have a look.  So I marched over to the doctor, pushed his knees out of the way and reached my wet sticky hands up to grab the file.  The doctor smiled at me and pushed the paper away but that was not acceptable so I launched myself towards it and managed to get a whole handful of paper before the doctor succeeded in taking it out of my clenched fists.  I think he must have experienced this before though because he succeeded in unclenching my fists even as Mummy had her hands around my waist from behind.  I couldn't fight both of them off at once so I agreed to let go and returned to chewing the mousemat.

After a few minutes though, that was boring so it was back to the trolley of medical supplies for some more exploring.  This time the nurse was a little bit quicker so I couldn't get into much and by now I was thoroughly bored.  The grown ups were still talking about me but not to me so I decided it was time for me to leave.  I marched over to the door, yanked on the handle, opened the door and I was off to explore another room in the hospital.  I think it was my giggle that gave me away because no more than a few seconds after my nappy had crossed the threshold, I felt Daddy's hands lifting me straight up off the floor as he returned me to the doctors office.   This was sure to be a fun game so although I occupied myself with whacking at the doctors mouse and keyboard (he pulled those away from me too) I kept one eye on the door.  As soon as the grown ups were talking again, I scuttled straight under the chairs, made a beeline for the door and I was off.  This time I got at least three feet into the hallway of the hospital before Daddy reached me and quite firmly returned me to the doctors office.

The grownups seemed to talk for hours so I made sure to keep them busy and made sure they couldn't forget I was there.  But the important thing about it all is that the doctor has finally decided it would be a good idea for me to have some super bionic ears - I get to be a superhero with superpowers!  Wow!  How exciting is that?!

Today, Mummy took me over to family group with all of the other children who sometimes find it hard to hear the way other people do, and I got to play with my friends.  I made stacks of bricks, I played with a new musical toy, I chewed on some big lego and was having a fabulous time.  I didn't know how soon the fun would stop but Graham asked Mummy to bring me into the other room saying he wanted to do something called making ear moulds.  I didn't know then what this meant but once I realized, I was NOT impressed.  You see Graham poked a little string down into my ears, then he used something that looks an awful lot like a small glue gun and squirted some bright purple silly putty into my ears!  It was HORRIBLE!  I squirmed, shouted and tried to pull Graham's hands away but Mummy, the traitor, held my hands so I couldn't!  Then Graham was shaping the putty and making sure it filled my ears and it was just horrible.  I was shaking my head and trying to get it out but I couldn't.  After a few minutes though, Graham pulled gently on the string and the putty popped straight out of my ear.  That was when I realized he was using the putty as a shape to make my special bionic ears.  I wish I'd realized sooner, I might not have complained quite so much if I knew it was all to give me my superpowers.  If only the big people would explain things to a baby, life would be so much easier if they would just realize how smart I really am!

Then it was time to play outside in the playground with the other children so I made a beeline for the door.  I climbed in and out of the cars, I crawled up the stairs to the slide and led Mummy on a very fun game that involved her running back and forth between the stairs and the slide while I tried to make up my mind which one I wanted to try going headfirst down....then once Mummy had gotten me down the slide, she showed me the huge wiggly caterpillar tunnel, that was so much fun - I crawled all the way through it giggling all the way.  It didn't seem very long at all until Mummy was picking me up and taking me inside for snack time.  I wasn't impressed but I made sure everyone knew I was there by grabbing two of the children's cups of juice and spilling them all over the table while I giggled.  That was fun because it made all the grownups jump and dance.  I do love it when that happens!

Then Graham came out with a tray of differently coloured bionic ear thingy's and I helped Mummy choose which one I wanted - there were silver ones, white ones, pinky kind of ones that looked like my skin, browny kind of ones that looked like other people's skin...but the best ones were the brightly coloured ones - there was bright pink, purple, green and blue!  I took my time choosing and eventually decided I wanted the very bright, electric blue ones because they're the colour of Superman's cape so if I'm going to have super bionic ears then I want them to be like Superman.  On the way home, Mummy explained that I'm a very special boy and only very special boys get to have super bionic ears.  Apparently I have to wait until we get back from a place called Ca-na-da because Graham is going to do one more hearing test on me to make sure my new ears work just right but by October, I'm going to have the best ears in the whole wide world - I'm so excited, I can't wait!  I like being special.  :-)


4 comments:

  1. Adam-I think Superman has nothing on you. Do you get to have a cape too? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Adam's mummy: this sounds fabulous news! It may not be easy in those idealistic theoretical worlds, but it sounds a super step forwards, wiggly caterpillars aside xx)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOO!!!!!! I never thought about a cape!!!!! Miss Mouse, I'm going to have to ask my Mummy if I can have a superhero cape!!!!!! Thanks for the idea Miss Mouse!

    Love to Wriggles!
    Adam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy, I do hope it will be a step forward but we'll just have to see. There are still so many uncertainties about what, or how much, Adam can hear that these hearing aids will be very mild just to see if it makes a difference but at least we will finally be doing something and I think that will be easier than yet more "waiting and seeing". Fingers crossed! x

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to share your thoughts or reactions to this post. Comments are very welcome!