Thursday, 11 July 2013

Autism

Today, you are twenty-seven months and sixteen days.  

Today, for assessment purposes, your age has been rounded up to twenty-eight months. 

Today, we have been told that based on your efforts and abilities during testing with one of the Child Development Centre (CDC) Paediatricians that your development is between sixteen to eighteen months.

Today, we have been told that it is very likely that the doctors will recommend you attending the special needs assessment nursery.

Today, we have been told that you are on the autistic spectrum.

Today, you are no different than you were yesterday.

Today, I love you just as much as I did yesterday.

Today, I love you just as much as I will love you tomorrow.

Today, I love you just because you are you.

And today, I am in tears.



2 comments:

  1. Doing these assessments used to be my job. I, like you will be, have just been ordained deacon. My advice at this stage, for what it is worth, is to welcome the 'label' because it brings resources and support for Adam: and never limit your expectations of what he may do or become. Children (and God) are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alison, for your encouragement and experience.

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to share your thoughts or reactions to this post. Comments are very welcome!